Sunday, February 22, 2009

Guangzhou trip!

In China, PDA is nothing to be ashamed of.  Girls hold hands, guys cuddle...it means nothing!  This is a picture in the bus station of a prime example.
After museuming, Whit and I decided to mimick our bus station friends.
Our initial reason for going to Guangzhou was to see the International Circus.  Rumor has it-that this is the most incredible circus in all of Asia and Europe and after seeing it, I concur.  It was jaw-dropping and worth every cent! Can you see the elephants?
Whit, "circus-freak", and me right before the show.
Becca and I started doing the cha-cha together in the center of the park when an old lady bumped Becca outta the way and started groovin' with me!  I couldn't stop laughing-it was so much fun!
Three cute, old, Chinese men at the park.
This is a 17 story pagoda!  Unfortunately, it was closed and we couldn't climb it, bummer!
Becca, me and Chelsea.
A holy Buddhist temple.
This is the entrance to the Monk's dwelling.
I love Becca!!
Whit, Jace, Becca, Mandy, me and Brad.  These are the lovelies I live with!  (missing: Joell)
Another shameful, wonderful meal at McDonalds. (Julie and I)

This is the entrance to our hole-hell (hotel).  For $5 a person we bunked here for a night.  A friendly local led us to this apartment where beds can be rented out.  Not a bad idea....except when I first went in I instantly gagged from the putrid smell.  I can't think of anything to compare the smell to..all I know is I ran out of the room and continued to gag, over and over.  Fortunately, the room where I slept was not overpowered as strongly as the front room and the night went fine.  Sleeping here was very eye opening to me, and last night I realized how I have been unbelievably blessed my entire life.

Becca, Whitney and I shared this room.  
Look close, the bed had mice poopies!
Crazy sink.  Please note the red bucket.  This is where the sink pipe drains.  Once the bucket is filled, it's put in the bathroom where the water is scooped and splashed into the squatter (it becomes flush water).


This was the smelliest bathroom I have ever used.  I still don't know where the wreak was coming from, but I used this squatter strictly for bragging rights.
Emily's Cake Shop!
Next time you hear the China population stats...think of this.  Also, note the smog.
Line at KFC-they love that place here.  (There wasn't a special sale...this is just how the line is...)
Ahhhh....we are finally sitting, and on our way home.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, it looks like you are having SO much fun!!!! I want to do this!

    ReplyDelete