Friday, February 6, 2009

Hong Cong is Kool!



Chelsea, me and Whit on our boat ride through the fish harbor in Hong Kong, it was very beautiful, the building behind us is the restaurant on water, but we didn't eat there.
Check me out!  The peace signs and hats are SO Chinese!
I'm ashamed.  It didn't take long for me to crave American food.  A value meal is about $3 here!




This was the train ride we took from HK to mainland China.  We saw many sad things.


Hong Kong all lit up!!!  This is only a tiny sample of the millions of sky scrappers that make Hong Kong what it is.


This is Whit and I right off the plane in Hong Kong, note all the luggage!

Hong Kong is amazing.  I love this place.  the weather is incredible-warm and delicious.  There are little markets everywhere and parents LOVE when we (Americans) talk to their little kids.  The kids themselves are adorable.  They always wave and smile at us. 

Right after we got off the plane we met out tour guide who took us on a 45 minute bus ride to out 4 star hotel (WOW).  After getting settled in our room, our group (which is 24 ILPers going to various schools in China) met up and headed to the Hong Kong temple to do baptisms for the dead.  That was the only absolute MUST on my list, so I was thrilled.  The temple is beautiful but surprisingly small.  It was neat to do baptisms for Chinese names, I actually got baptized for 5 Lin Si's.  One of the temple workers said that was due to polygomy amoungst the wealthy  After that we walked back to our hotel (about a 25 min walk) and enjoyed noticing the small differences that you couldn't catch in a car.  We saw two different weddings along our way!  We also stopped at a fruit stand and bought a bag of tiny, tiny, tiny oranges that were delicious.  The buildings here are pretty much all apartment complexes and they are VERY high.  I don't think anyone has a dryer because even on the 100th floor you can see clothes being hung out to dry!  In about 15 minutes we are going to the Hard Rock Cafe- Hong Kong and then to a laser show on the Hong Kong Harbor.  It's said to be the largest laser show in the wrold!  How exciting!  I have alot of pictures but I don't know how long it will take to load them  so I will try but they may come later.  Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. Ni Hao Ma...do you know what that means Emily? "How Are You"!Wow...what an experience you are going to have Emily. We are so excited for you and know that you are going to have an amazing experience in China. We are also excited that you have entered the blogging world and will update it with pictures and all the fun and exciting things you will experience in China. We Love and Miss you Em! Take Care! The LeBaron Family :-}

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Kool Emily! Glad you've got the blog up so quick, what a great idea! We'll be watching for your updates.

    Have fun and enjoy the adventure!

    The Williams Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily, I'm so excited to follow your adventures in China. What an amazing opportunity for you! Take it all in and enjoy the experience everyday! You will be awesome! The Hammond Family

    **Sorry about the deleted post before under Norris, I was in my dad's account when I yyped it....oops!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im glad you got there safe! I wish you could be here for my wedding but i will send you an announcement :) Have so so so much fun in China! it will be a wonderful experience for you! yay!

    <3 Danielle

    ReplyDelete